Hand picked cherries meet cute cakes.
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 tbsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and cut in half
*Icing made with powdered sugar and lemon juice.
1. Combine butter, yogurt, vanilla, egg, and almond extract.
2. Mix in the flour, soda, and cinnamon.
3. Line a baking dish with parchment paper and pour in half of the batter. Cover in cherries. Cover cherries in remaining batter.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, check cake, bake for more time until toothpick comes out clean and top is golden.
5. Allow cake to cool. Remove from dish. Cut into square cakes.
6. Drizzle cakes with icing and top with a cherry, if preferred.
These cherry cakes are sweet, indulgent, and bursting with gems of fruit. The icing and cherry on top add a simple flair for an elegant teatime. These are the perfect spring time treats, and can be modified with other types of fruit that you might have growing in your garden or you spot at the market. My favorite part is the way the top of the cakes becomes golden and glossy when you take them out of the oven.